Remembering the Greatest Sacrifice – May 27, 2018
Remembering the Greatest Sacrifice
EWOC sermon – May 27, 2018
Remembering the Greatest Sacrifice
This MEMORIAL weekend we remember those who laid down their lives. Freedom is never FREE.
It cost some families the life of their beloved fathers, sons, daughters and even mothers and some even come back crippled.
Memorial Day is a time to honor those who are serving and have served in the military. It is also a day to remember those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom in giving their lives. When we celebrate Memorial Day, it doesn’t mean we are agreeing with our governments decisions and wars, but that we are taking time to recognize those who are willing to protect us.
NO GREATER LOVE
The Importance Remembering
Romans 5:7 (NLT)
7 Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, (Jesus did) though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good.
THE GREATEST MAN WHO HAS LAID DOWN HIS LIFE IS – JESUS
BECAUSE OF HIM LAYING DOWN HIS LIFE WE HAVE THE GREATEST HOPE
John 15:13 (NLT)
13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.
Every miserable life can now be turned around
2 Timothy 2:3-4 (NLT)
3 Endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them.
- A SOLDIER IS A FOLLOWER – 2:3
- The first step is to join the army.
- No one can be a soldier for the Lord until they first get into the army.
- This is accomplished only through receiving Jesus as your Savior, John 3:3;
- To refuse to follow orders is treason!
- When we are in the Lord’s Army, we have the obligation of obeying His orders even unto death!
- A SOLDIER IS FAITHFUL
– Endures hardship and does not quit.
– The good soldier realizes that there will be troubles along the way and is not detoured by them.
– A SOLDIER understands that pain is often part of the Christian experience,
– A SOLDIER’S Priorities – Seeks to please the Commander.
– A good soldier has no higher goal in life than pleasing His Superior.
- A SOLDIER IS FAMILIAR
-With the Commanders’ Voice – The way to get more familiar with the Lord’s voice is to spend more time listening to it. You do this by getting in the Word. Do you know Him when He speaks?
-The good soldier knows that he is engaged in mortal warfare and he knows that the only way to succeed in the fight is to be proficient in the use of spiritual weaponry.
You and I would do well to learn the art of spiritual warfare if we intend to succeed for the glory of the Lord.
– The Enemy – The good soldier knows that the enemy is ever active and never rests.
2 Timothy 4:7-8 (NLT)
7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 8 And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing
- A SOLDIER IS A FIGHTER – 4:7
– He Is Determined – The good soldier does not retreat in the face of the enemy, he does not run from a fight. Instead, he stands his ground and fights the battle until the battle is over!
– He Is Driven –
– The good soldier realizes that the battle does not run according to his time frame. He knows that another one is in charge of the duration of the battle, but the good soldier is driven to finish. The good soldier is in the battle to the finish. Are you?
– He Is Dedicated – The good soldier dedicates himself to keeping his oath. He is determined to live for the Lord regardless of the personal cost.
- A SOLDIER IS A FINISHER!
THE INVISIBLE ARMY
And Elisha prayed, and said, “Lord, I pray, open his eyes, that he may see.” And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw; and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. – 2 Kings 6,17.
February 10, 2019